The ritual of dissecting each new Apple item as it becomes available has ongoinged with the iPad Air. iFixit did their official teardown of the most up to date Apple tablet, and discovered it challenging to fix (2/10). Besides this reality, the iPad Air in fact includes a smaller sized battery than its predecessor, thanks to the power-sipping A7 processor and improvements in iOS 7.
Get the current on iPhone/iPad technology: Ipads Advisor
Despite the smaller battery, the iPad Air will provide just as much operating time thanks to the brand-new design. Mentioning the A7 chip, the iPad Air version is various from the iPhone 5s silicon. Although it’s unclear precisely how they’re different, the iPad Air A7 has actually been tailored and holds a different moniker (APL5698, in contrast to APL0698 found in the iPhone Fives).
Here’s the full hardware breakdown from Cult of Mac:
– Apple APL5698 A7 Processor
– Elpida F8164A1MD 1 GB LPDDR3 SDRAM
– Qualcomm M9616M LTE Processor with 1 Gb (128 MB) of DRAM
– Toshiba THGBX2G7B2JLA01 16 GB NAND Flash
– NXP LPC18A1 (Apple M7 Motion Co-Processor)
– Apple 343S0655-A1– this looks to be a Dialog Power Management IC
– USI 339S0213 Wi-Fi Module
– Apple 338S1116 Cirrus Audio Codec, likewise discovered in the iPhone 5c
– TriQuint TQF6514 RF Power Amplifier Module– similar to the 6414 in the iPhone 5s
– 3 Skyworks SKY77-series LTE RF Power Amplifier/Duplexer Modules
– 2 Avago A79-series LTE RF Power Amplifier/Duplexer Modules
– 227 LG– likely a Murata Antenna Switch/Filter Module
– WTR1605L Transceiver Module
– Qualcomm PM8018 PMIC
– Broadcom BCM5976C1KUB6G Touch Screen Controllers
While the iPad Air makes use of lots of adhesive and is typically not quickly repairable, iFixit did point out the truth that the LCD is simple to eliminate when the front panel is off. Also a favorable: the battery isn’t soldered to the reasoning board. As normal, take apart the iPad at your own risk!